As you're gearing up for the holiday season, here are some healthy holiday appetizers that taste great to get you started with your party planning!
- Bruschetta with whole-wheat toast (See recipe below)
- Hummus with sliced veggies like red, orange, and yellow peppers
- Shrimp cocktail
- Chicken fingers with Maple BBQ Sauce (See recipes below)
2 cups diced tomatoes (with juice)
4 basil leaves, chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 cup olives, chopped
whole-wheat bread or baguettes
1. Combine all the ingredients together.
2. Serve over slices of grilled/ toasted whole-wheat bread or baguette.
Only 100 calories per serving! From page 149 of The Skinny Rules
Skinny Chicken Fingers
1-pound boneless, skinless chicken tenders
1 cup panko bread crumbs
4 egg whites (whip with a fork)
non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350-degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place whipped egg whites in a dish and the bread crumb s in a separate dish.
3. Spray a skillet with the nonstick cooking spray and warm over medium heat.
4. Dip the chicken fingers into the egg mixture and then into the bread crumbs.
5. Place in the skillet and cook for about 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for about 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked thoroughly.
6. Serve with a barbecue dipping sauce.
Only 130 calories per serving! From page 151 in The Skinny Rules
Maple Barbecue Sauce
Yield about 1.5 cups
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pan and simmer for about 20 minutes.
My Website has a delicious Wasabi Avocado Dip recipe! Click here to grab the recipe.